- To reduce confusion between Bitcoin-the-network and Bitcoin-the-software we have renamed the reference client to Bitcoin Core.
- For 0.9.0 we switched to an autotools-based build system instead of individual (q)makefiles.
- Another change in the 0.9 release is moving away from the bitcoind executable functioning both as a server and as a RPC client. The RPC client functionality (“tell the running bitcoin daemon to do THIS”) was split into a separate executable, ‘bitcoin-cli’.
- This release contains a few fixes for transaction ID (TXID) malleability issues:
- This release drops the default fee required to relay transactions across the network and for miners to consider the transaction in their blocks to 0.01mBTC per kilobyte.